Bay Bridge Road/Dundas Street West Project Now Substantially Complete
Posted: August 21, 2017
BELLEVILLE - The City of Belleville is pleased to announce the Bay Bridge Road/CPR Overhead Replacement & Dundas Street West Rehabilitation Project is now substantially complete.
“This Build Belleville project is significant for the City of Belleville as it addresses local infrastructure priorities and greatly improves the traffic flow for local, tourist and commercial vehicles into the City and to the City core,” says Mayor Christopher. “We are very thankful to our federal and provincial funding partners who provided funding assistance with these projects.”
The Bay Bridge Road / CPR Overhead Replacement portion was funded entirely through the federal Gas Tax Fund for a total investment of $10.9 million.
“The Government of Canada has committed to working with provinces, territories and municipalities to ensure they receive the support they need to build strong and vibrant communities,” said Neil Ellis, Member of Parliament for Bay of Quinte, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities. “I’m excited that Belleville has now completed construction on some very important road projects, using funding from the federal Gas Tax Fund and the Small Communities Fund, resulting in safer and more efficient roads and bridges and reduced congestion.”
The Dundas Street West portion of the project was cost-shared, on a one-third basis, between the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Belleville, under the Small Communities Fund. The total investment for this portion was $9.7 million.
“Our government’s commitment to building stronger communities across the province is delivering real results for our municipalities and Ontarians,” said Jeff Leal, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. “The Dundas Street West rehabilitation project is a great example of our government working together with our federal and municipal partners to strengthen our infrastructure and help create jobs in Belleville.”
Notable achievements with this project include:
• Replacement of the existing bridge on Bay Bridge Road, which crosses over the Canadian Pacific Railway, with a new bridge on a new alignment.
• The creation of an additional left turning lane at the Bay Bridge Road intersection.
• A new centre, left turning lane on Dundas Street West.
• The addition of a three-metre wide, paved multi-use path that extends down the south side of Dundas Street West from Coleman Street to Zwick’s Park, providing safe passageway for pedestrians and cyclists.
• The creation of a public viewing area at the south side of the intersection overlooking the Bay and Zwick’s Park and also a Parkette on the north side.
• The replacement of a 1931 cast iron watermain.
The contractor and City landscaping crews may still be seen on site periodically to finish some final work.
- 30 -
For more information:
Dana Barnett, Capital Projects Coordinator
Tel: 613-967-3200, ext. 3336